Wednesday, October 30, 2013

WIP Wednesday - Spit Splice

Okay, confession time. I think it's hard for me to push myself to step out of my comfort zone and try new things or learn new techniques. Even though I have been knitting for several years now, I have not learned how to properly join a new ball of yarn to an existing project. Up till now I have been **gasp in horror** tying a knot in order to join a new ball of yarn. I am aware that this is really awful and I shouldn't do this, but I do it anyway. I did try spit splicing, one of the proper techniques to join a ball of yarn, a couple of times to no success. And I have to admit it was probably only a half-hearted attempt once a couple years ago.

 As I mentioned in the last blog post, I'm doing a test knit for Anne (AKA Knitspot), my knitting idol. Seriously, I want to be her when I grow up. I know it's totally unacceptable to tie a knot to join a ball of yarn. I would die of embarrassment before giving Anne a finished piece of knitting that had a a knot that I had tied in the middle of it. Hopefully, she's not reading this.

I decided to watch a couple of youtube videos on the technique. After watching it, I attempted to spit splice my yarn. It worked! Yay! I learned a new way to join a new ball of yarn to an existing project. Give me any two skeins of yarn that are 100% natural animal fiber and I can join them! Okay, I realize I should take it down a notch. The knitting gods have a way of hearing overconfidence and tend to silence it with humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment