Thursday, April 28, 2016

Come Together Socks

Pattern: None. My regular K3, P1 rib

Yarn: The Cozy Knitter in Bliss in the colorway Come Together

Needles: US Size 1 DPNs

Started on: April 4th

Finished on: April 27th

Comments: I've not shared this sock progress on the blog. This was a stealth knit as they are a gift for DH.

This was my first time using this yarn from this dyer. When I got close to finishing the first sock, I started to get nervous looking at my yarn. It was the first time ever that I actually worried that there wouldn't be enough yarn left to finish the socks.

I went back to the dyer's Etsy page to check the yardage on the skein. When I started the socks, I had assumed that I would have plenty of yardage. I assumed it was like other yarns I bought from other dyers; where it was a 400 yard skein and that the sidekick skein was also 100 yards. So I thought I had a total of 500 yards, which should be more than enough for a pair of man socks.

Upon actually reading the dyer's description of the yarn, I realized it was 420 yards total for both the main skein and the sidekick skein. And she even wrote that it should be enough yarn to knit up to a size 10.5 socks. Well, DH's sock size is 11. Ack. So I panicked a bit. Then decided to finish the first sock then look at the yarn again.

Luckily these are stripey socks, so I can easily look at the remaining ball and count by looking at the colors as to how many stripes I still needed. I am so happy I had enough to knit the second sock. I even have a little bit leftover that will go into my sock scrap memory blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment