Monday, May 26, 2014

Stashdown: 2006 yarns (Part 1 of 2)

I think I've been going about my stashing down incorrectly. When I purchase yarns, it's often without an exact pattern in mind. I am aware of the types of projects I enjoy knitting which is mostly shawls, stoles, scarves and socks. I  also understand that lace shawls and stoles require about 800-1,300 yards and socks and scarves: 400-430 yards. I often find beautiful patterns and then look for yarn to match them to. If I don't find the perfect yarn in my stash, then I end up buying it. I think I really need to start thinking the other way around. This means taking a ball of yarn and then finding a pattern to match with it. I think it's best to ease into this, so that I don't feel too restricted.

I've decided to start with my oldest yarns. My oldest yarns in my stash date back to 2006. I have 11 different yarns. I think the goal is to always have one of my WIPs be yarn from 2006, until I use up all my 2006 yarns.

Here's a look at my 2006 yarns:


1) Cascade 220 9325 Westpoint Blue Heather - I have two skeins of this. I started the Romney Kerchief Shawl with this. This is one of my current WIPs.








2) Cascade 220 7803 Magenta - I have two skeins of this as well. I think this will become a scarf of some sort.

3) Cascade 220 2422 Lavender Heather -  I have nine skeins of this yarn. I have no idea what I'm going to make with this. Potentially, I could break it up and make two or three projects with this yarn. I really do love this color.



4) Habu Textiles Cashmere Nep - I have no idea why I bought this. I have about 214 yards of this, which is really not enough to do anything with. I will have to find another yarn to pair this with and knit it double? I'm really not sure at all.


5) Mystery Pink Yarn - Even early on in my stash collecting, I've always been good about keeping my yarn labels. For some reason I don't have this one. All I know is that it's novelty yarn that was given to me for my birthday by V. I used some of it in a scarf, I have no clue what the yardage or yarn weight is of this. I think this will also have to be paired with another yarn to make a scarf or something.



6) Yarn Pirate - String Theory - This is sock yarn. I will have to search for an appropriate sock pattern to knit these into socks.

The other 5 yarns from 2006 will be in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment