Wednesday, September 11, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Provisional Cast On

On my Artichaut shawl, I no longer have my provisional cast on. The way the pattern is written, it starts with a provisional cast on and then you knit the body of the shawl. At the end of the pattern, it instructs you to unzip the provisional cast on and split the stitches in half and kitchener stitch the two halves together.

When I'm knitting a pattern with this type of construction, I don't wait till the end of the shawl to unzip the provisional cast on and kitchener the two halves together. I generally will wait until I've knit a few repeats of the main body of the shawl and make sure I have enough give where I won't be stretching out the beginning of the shawl. Once I'm certain I have enough give, then I unzip my provisional cast on and kitchener the two sides together.

The reason I do this earlier than the pattern suggests is because I don't like having loose ends. They get tangled up with the yarn I'm currently working with or they get in the way or accidentally get knit as additional stitches. I like what I'm working on to be clean and neat. It's also kind of ugly to have one string at the beginning in a different color that is unrelated to what you are knitting. The biggest reason I do it is because I fear that somehow my provisional cast on will come undone and I won't notice. Then I'll have these live stitches on the opposite side of where I'm working and they may drop. Then I'll have spent hours and hours of hard work knitting all gone to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment